Proud to be YORKSHIRE!!!!!
Olympic heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis has won the Sunday Times Sportswoman of the Year Award!!!! Congrats Jess!!
She deserves it as well the 26-year-old set three personal bests and a British record of 6,995 points on her way to gold in London.
Olympic gold medallists Katherine Grainger and Jade Jones and Paralympic champion Sarah Storey also won awards.
Ennis told BBC Sport: “It’s an incredible honour considering the amazing performances we’ve had this year from British women.”
Awards given out!!
- Sportswoman of the Year -Jessica Ennis
- Coach of the Year – Jenny Archer
- Young Paralympian of the Year – Ellie Simmonds
- Community Award – Di Redfern
- Paralympian of the Year – Sarah Storey
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Sue Campbell
- Team of the Year – GB team pursuit cyclists – Dani King, Laura Trott and Joanna Rowsell
- The Helen Rollason Award for Inspiration – Claire Lomas
- Young Olympian of the Year – Jade Jones
- Olympian of the Year – Katherine Grainger
- Young Sportswomen of the Year – Laura Robson & Heather Watson
Of the record 65 medals won by Team GB at the Olympics, British women were involved in winning 25 of them. The success continued at the Paralympics with female competitors winning 19 of 34 golds won by ParalympicsGB. Our Women know how to ‘Go for Gold’.